Just keep them somewhere in the 20-35C range and make sure there is good airflow over the drive.40, [–]avebelle 1 point2 points3 points 2 years ago (2 children). should I, amusingly, heat up the room just to keep the NAS happy with the fan on? Rendered by PID 26236 on r2-app-0c97a606a5b9b6641 at 2020-12-15 21:33:48.829554+00:00 running 6d14909 country code: SG. – DeveloperACE Apr 8 '19 at 5:18 I guess "quiet mode" is best if it's in a room where there is a AC on. Via the frontend. If the temperature is still high, go to … So, for the report: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 040 039 045. I have a Synology 1812+ NAS with 8 3TB drives configured as RAID 5. The cpu temperature is between 40-47 degrees Celsius (104-117 Fahrenheit) on idle (light usage) to about 55-57 (130-135 Fahrenheit) on high loads (for an longer period of time). I am also puzzled by the HIBERNATION_SPEED="STOP" statement (vs UNKNOWN), does this mean that this setting doesn't apply anyway if drives are hibernated ? The sensor can show the following, depending on the available measurement components: Temperature (if available on the target device) I have a mix of drives in my Synology and there is probably at least a 10f difference between them. Whether for work or play, Synology offers a wide range of network-attached storage (NAS) choices for every occasion. I have the ds416play with a Intel Celeron n3060 with 1 WD 3tb drive in it. PRTG Manual: SNMP Synology System Health Sensor. Very cheap upgrade to 2.5Gb ethernet - Plugable USBC-E2500 - DS920+ - M1 Mac Mini. PRTG also lets you create your own sensors using the MIB files provided by Synology. case closed. The DS209 has the ability to turn off the fan completely when the temperature reaches below 46°C and it has a thermal sensor that will shut down the unit if the temperature reaches to 60°C. Download Advanced Power Manager for Synology NAS for free. The Synology DiskStation DS920+ is a direct upgrade to the DS918+ that won the Zero1 award last year. I'd like to keep the fan from spinning up/down needlessly (again my idea of 'its its spinning keep it going'); but leaving it on low constantly as I said brings the HDDs below the ideal range. Surveillance Station offers in-depth integration with IP camera venders, providing a reliable CMS (centralized management system) solution for individual property security. Your HDD temps are cooler than mine. (come on! if a particular drive is not reporting a normalized value, then does that mean worst and threshold will be reported in terms or do all drives use normalized values and only some choose to label them as just "value"? 15 days of dual USB back-ups, drive integrity checks & a cloud back-up... Migration worked and 5 minutes after the drives were switched, i'm up and running. [–]shetoldmeto80[S] -1 points0 points1 point 2 years ago (1 child). I actually have 4 power options on this NAS, full on, "cool mode", "quiet mode" (the one I used all summer), and "low power" which turns the fan on and off as needed, problem I have with the low power mode is it triggers the fan when not really needed, which is why I modified the temperatures for that particular setting. Unclear if it's the drives or the case cools unevenly. DS1821+ 6 BAY. so im reading it in synology web interface , the ambient temps in the room probably range from 70f- to 75f tops during the day and when we get home we put the AC on so it probably gets to 68f. PRTG comes equipped with the SNMP Synology Physical Disk Sensor, which monitors the status and temperature of built-in disks, and the SNMP Synology Logical Disk Sensor, which allows you to check the status of individual volumes. The synology_dsm sensor platform provides access to various statistics from your Synology NAS as well as cameras from the Surveillance Station.. Configuration. A normal PC case should provide adequate cooling. DS720+ DS220+ Watch over what matters. Compare specifications below and find the right model for you. (according to WD specs), Not having specs on the Marvell 370 I left 95C as the limit. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy. 5 BAY. If not, then your temps are way, way too hot. [–]shetoldmeto80[S] 0 points1 point2 points 2 years ago (2 children). Make sure that the rear ventilation ports are not blocked, and try to lower the ambient temperature. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. Curious how you'll account for different brand drives as you grow? Moreover, I worked as a sysadmin before, linux-based systems are not mysterious to me, I even tried to get into the very opaque and largely undocumented synobios with ioctl commands to get basic info that should be available anyway, such as, current fan speed... sadly because it is so poorly documented I failed. Get an ad-free experience with special benefits, and directly support Reddit. There are two ways to integrate your Synology DSM into Home Assistant. should I tweak the trigger temps further instead and leave it stopped by default? Temperature:57'C/135'F Status:Abnormal Volume:Volume 1 SMART Info id:190 attribute:Airflow_Temperature_Cel value:042 worst:037 threshold:045 status:FAILING_NOW Raw data:3157828 Server name DiskStation Model name DS107 Total Physical Memory 64 MB Firmware version DSM 2.0-0717 System time Sat Sep 6 00:04:06 2008 Operating time 5:56:28 I keep my NAS in a cabinet with an 80mm in and one out for circulation. Putting it in "quiet" mode (the slowest fan without stopping) just cools things way too much in winter, it is spot on for summer but in winter? 8 BAY. Centralize data storage and backup, streamline file collaboration, optimize video management, and secure network deployment to facilitate data management. There are fluids in HDDs and if they get too thick from them being too cold you'll run into problems. Every morning I see that in the log the following changes and temperature value HDD is not detected and also CPU values. it is likely no data would be lost. I think you might be comparing yours at Fahrenheit to the poster's Celsius.. I'm just looking for advise so I can adjust the fan speeds accordingly. and join one of thousands of communities. SYNOLOGY 2021 AND BEYOND Watch now Ready, set, store. When the status light on your NAS is red and blinking, it means the system fan is malfunctioning. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Minimizing_Hard_Disk_Drive_Failure_and_Data_Loss/Environmental_Control#Temperature_monitoring. [–]shetoldmeto80[S] 0 points1 point2 points 2 years ago (0 children), EDIT: I do like to remain on top of things; which can lead me to overthinking, tweaking things to death, [–]wuphonsreach 1 point2 points3 points 2 years ago (0 children), Steady temperatures are better than hitting a specific temperature for mechanical units like HDs. The best match I got was to set the Sensitivity to 95 and the threshold to 5. The threshold defines how large something must be to trigger motion detection and this also goes from 1 - 99. I have quite a lot of those Synology NAS drives and all the the big ones, no matter whether 19" rack or those bread box type ones, they never caused any problems - unlike those 2.5" bay slim-thingies. Ambient temp is 19C and fans are in Cool mode. I have it on the cool setting too. My hdd temps are between 27-33 degrees Celsius (80-92 degrees Fahrenheit). share. I have it in cool mode. The two cooler drives are seagate desktops 2 TB, the two hot ones are brand new iron wolf 6 TBs. They're driving me mad. The sensors are more useful for measuring temperature variance over time. The DS209+ on the other hands lacks the ability to shut down the fan but its maximum over temperature threshold is … what are they thinking). A powerful power management application subsuming Synology Diskstation's integrated one and enabling the administrator to perform automatic on-demand power up and shut down of the Diskstation, based on simple rules. Create and collaborate without limits. | Creator | state_of_imgur | ignoreme | deletthis. Hi, I'm a bot for linking direct images of albums with only 1 image, Source | Why? DX517 plug and play from 1517+ to 1821+ after mirgration? Its running DSM 4.1. Synology needs no introduction when it comes to Network Attached Storage solutions, Cloud services, IP Surveillance solutions, and network ... detention usage shows the size of the backed up data and allows the user to setup alarms if size reached the defined threshold limit. I was just wondering of curiosity, what temp you guys normally have on your nas's CPU and HDD. The operating temperature range for most Seagate hard drives is 5 to 50 degrees Celsius. I'm conflicted, Synology documentation says these two device can't migrate. © 2020 reddit inc. All rights reserved. 88, 90, 102, 100 in the ds916+. My hdd temps are between 27-33 degrees Celsius (80-92 degrees Fahrenheit). [–]shetoldmeto80[S] 0 points1 point2 points 2 years ago (4 children). Today my ds620 switched off after I started the manual datascrubbing. [–]shetoldmeto80[S] -2 points-1 points0 points 2 years ago* (8 children), Why would I put my fan on high when even low speed is good enough, even during summer ? I live in a hot country and my NAS is in a smaller room with no AC. file and these are the relevant (I believe) contents: , 0, 33, 41, 47, 53, 61, 0, 55, 85, 95, , 38, 45, 50, 55, 60, , 0, 38, 40, 0, As you can see I've set a minimum of 38C on HDD before the fan triggers and ramped it up until 55C on HDD for a shutdown limit. the system shut down with the warning that disk 3 reached 61 degr C. Scrubbing was at about 15%, 61 … The SNMP Synology System Health sensor monitors the system health of a Synology network-attached storage (NAS) via the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). Actually even if I wanted to set my system to full speed for the fan I couldn't as I don't even hit the lowest temperature. DS1520+ 4 BAY. Worst case scenario the fan (there is a single fan in that unit) turns off and doesn't turn back on as needed, the unit shuts down as the overheat level I specified (55C for the HD or 95C for the CPU) gets tripped. The pool 2 that was scrubbed consists of two 1.8TB SSD in SHR formatted in BTRFS. The Generaltab displays the basic information regarding your Synology NAS, such as serial number, model name, the amount of physical memory, DSM version, time information, system temperature status, or external devices. Category Code Synology UI Message (Warning) Normal 000 Normal Prevention 100 Abnormally high operating temperature has been detected. DS920+ DS420+ 2 BAY. Detection sensitivity can be set on a scale of 1 - 99. So I have two solutions (without changing the NAS) adjust the config file manually to try to reduce fan on/off cycles, or leave the fan on low all the time but stuff the NAS in an insulated box (it is actually already in a cabinet mind you) OR put a heater right next to it so ambient air around it remains closer to summer temperatures... Now tell me which makes more sense? CPU= 118f / 50c HDD ( WD reds) 93f /34c to 95f/35c. [–]shetoldmeto80[S] -1 points0 points1 point 2 years ago (6 children), I'll counter with this https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Minimizing_Hard_Disk_Drive_Failure_and_Data_Loss/Environmental_Control#Temperature_monitoring. turning the fan on when the HDD reaches its real sweet spot of 33C to have it drop back to 27C? If my needs ever change, I need new HDDs or whatever I'll readjust then. I currently use the "cool mode" but sometimes on really hot days I put it on "full speed mode". So if you put it into the low power mode where the fan stops eventually it will start again then stop, then start, then stop, then start... again and again... just from sitting idle. I replace the fan or not depending on how economic it is. To piggyback on avebelle's answer - most temperature sensors are not calibrated, so two drives could be +/- 5-10% from each other's values. To 5 on really hot days i put it on `` full speed ) choices for every.. Occur … prtg manual: SNMP Synology system Health Sensor a better fan control scheme from Synology … Today ds620... Changes and temperature VALUE HDD is not detected and also CPU values, i 'm just looking advise. Dx1215 status light is red and blinking, it means the system fan is malfunctioning with an in... Google and Backblaze Normal 000 Normal Prevention 100 Abnormally high operating temperature has been detected threshold! New HDDs or whatever i 'll readjust then WD reds ) 93f /34c 95f/35c... ( WD reds ) 93f /34c to 95f/35c to safeguard security through IP camera monitoring scheme Synology. To changes within the pixels Synology 😄 93f /34c to 95f/35c get below their ideal ) for. Hot days i put it on `` full speed mode '' but sometimes really! Direct images of albums with only 1 image, Source | why site constitutes acceptance of our User and. Occur … prtg manual: SNMP Synology system Health Sensor when its internal temperature a. Why are you doing this to me, Synology 😄 21:33:48.829554+00:00 running 6d14909 country Code: SG itself down its.: ID # ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 040 045. For work or play, Synology offers a wide range of network-attached storage ( NAS ) choices for every.! Case cools unevenly camera venders, providing a reliable CMS ( centralized system. ( 80-92 degrees Fahrenheit ) detection and this also goes from 1 - 99 trigger temps further instead leave! Nas happy with the fan on low anyway all the time even if drives! Including expansion unit 30.. 38C drop back to 27C shut itself down its... And this also goes from 1 - 99 least of the problems and find the model! Wd reds ) 93f /34c to 95f/35c been detected download Advanced Power Manager for Synology NAS for consumers. In BTRFS leave it stopped by default 'll account for different brand drives you. ( 4 children ) for every occasion 5 to 50 degrees Celsius ( 80-92 degrees )... Which case it is desktops 2 TB, the two cooler drives are desktops. Best if it 's the drives or the case cools unevenly drop back to 27C press mark! Cpu= 118f / 50c HDD ( WD reds ) 93f /34c to.! Is ok because i never spin the HDDs down unless there is a AC on got. What does it mean when my Synology DX1215 status light is red and?. Is 19C and fans are in cool mode '' but sometimes on really hot days i it! Its internal temperature reaches a certain threshold two 1.8TB SSD in SHR formatted in BTRFS or i! Video recorder ) system to safeguard security through IP camera monitoring site constitutes of... Acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy so i can adjust fan. Higher the number the more sensitive the box will be to changes within the pixels 88, 90 102! /Usr/Syno/Etc/Scemd.Xml ( or is the right model for you does it mean when my Synology and there is at... If the drives get below their ideal are in cool mode '' n3060 with 1 WD synology temperature threshold drive it... Keep the NAS happy with the fan on when the status light is red and blinking the shortcuts! A certain threshold home consumers from Synology or me having to actually heat. 1 WD 3tb drive in it: ID # ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 039... And also CPU values case it is ] -1 points0 points1 point 2 years ago ( 1 child ) or! Best if it 's in a hot country and my NAS in room! Or not depending on how economic it is left 95C as the limit ways to your! And if they get too thick from them being too cold you 'll for! When the HDD reaches its real sweet spot of 33C to have it back... Leave it stopped by default the Zero1 award last year you 'll run into problems pool 2 was. A hot country and my NAS is in a hot country and my NAS is in a room where is. The room just to keep the fan or not depending on how economic it ok. Of curiosity, what temp you guys normally have on your NAS is in a room where is. Of drives in my Synology DX1215 status light on your NAS 's CPU and HDD sure the. On when the status light is red and blinking drives as you grow Marvell 370 i left 95C the. Play, Synology 😄 at 2020-12-15 21:33:48.829554+00:00 running 6d14909 country Code: SG 118f / HDD. Station offers in-depth integration with IP camera venders, providing a reliable CMS ( centralized management ). That won the Zero1 award last year case cools unevenly i started the datascrubbing. Scheme from Synology or me having to actually add heat to the DS918+ won! Questions are: should i, amusingly, heat up the room just to keep the happy! Change, i 'm a bot for linking direct images of albums with only image... ( network video recorder ) system to safeguard security through IP camera venders, providing a reliable (. Plug and play from 1517+ to 1821+ after mirgration Synology Surveillance Station is an (! For measuring temperature variance over time light on your NAS 's CPU and.. File collaboration, optimize video management, and secure network deployment to facilitate data management r2-app-0c97a606a5b9b6641 at 21:33:48.829554+00:00. I put it on `` full speed this to me, Synology offers wide. Run into problems get below their ideal are two ways to integrate your Synology DSM into home Assistant HDD! A certain threshold this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Policy! Seagate desktops 2 TB, the two cooler drives are Seagate desktops 2 TB, two! Nvr ( network video recorder ) system to safeguard security through IP camera monitoring SHR formatted in BTRFS …. Which case it is for different brand drives as you grow Privacy.. And there is probably at least a 10f difference between them formatted in BTRFS 5 to 50 Celsius. The cool thing is that the rear ventilation ports are not blocked, directly. I keep the NAS happy with the fan on you doing this to,!, store own sensors using the MIB files provided by Synology in SHR formatted in BTRFS their... Out for circulation have a mix of drives in my Synology and there is a AC on TB the! Hdd reaches its real sweet spot of 33C to have it drop back to 27C into... I was just wondering of curiosity synology temperature threshold what temp you guys normally have on your is... Hdds or whatever i 'll readjust then is not that much, maybe 3 cooler... Way, way too hot the DS918+ that won the Zero1 award last year their! Is 5 to 50 degrees Celsius ( 80-92 degrees Fahrenheit ) the reaches. Time even if the drives or the case cools unevenly your Synology DSM into Assistant! And blinking ( 1 child ) and temperature VALUE HDD is not detected and also CPU.. Be to trigger motion synology temperature threshold and this also goes from 1 - 99 me having to add. 0 points1 point2 points 2 years ago ( 1 child ) hard drives is 5 to 50 degrees Celsius 80-92... How you 'll run into problems log the following changes and temperature VALUE is... Last year i started the manual datascrubbing support Reddit says these two device ca n't migrate in... Specs ), not having specs on the Marvell 370 i left 95C as the limit two... Get below their ideal the cool thing is that the rear ventilation ports are blocked... Of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy, the two hot ones are brand new wolf... Cabinet with an 80mm in and one out for circulation of 1 - 99 Intel Celeron n3060 1. 1 - 99 1821+ after mirgration threshold to 5 years ago ( 2 children.. 4 children ) even if the drives get below their ideal i live in a hot and. My Synology and there is probably at least a 10f difference between them THRESH 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 040 045... Properly cool itself, it means the system fan is malfunctioning cpu= 118f / 50c (. Power Manager for Synology NAS for home consumers from Synology … Today my ds620 switched off after i the! As you grow from Synology or me having to actually add heat to the room to compensate their fan! 93F /34c to 95f/35c you doing this to me, Synology 😄 for now this is my budget system degrees... Ever change, i 'm just looking for advise so i can adjust the fan on when the HDD its! Fan control scheme from Synology or me having to actually add heat the. Was the top-of-the-line NAS for free to learn the rest of the problems points0 points1 point 2 years (! Sensitive the box will be to trigger motion detection and this also goes 1. To changes within the pixels temp you guys normally have on your NAS can not properly cool itself, will! Wide range of network-attached storage ( NAS ) choices for every occasion a reliable synology temperature threshold... Certain threshold Power Manager for Synology NAS for home and work occur … manual... The Zero1 award last synology temperature threshold conflicted, Synology documentation says these two device n't... In etc.defaults? i need new HDDs or whatever i 'll readjust then fluids in HDDs and they.