I was so excited when the idea for my very own gluten free Clootie Dumpling popped into my head. Novelist James Michener has finally trained his macroscope on Texas, and the result is, well, long. The tradition of Clootie Dumpling making is centuries old. Different chefs have differing ways on how to form a skin on clootie dumpling. Serve with custard and a lovely cup of tea. Make sure the water level is topped … Comments, questions and tips. Would love your thoughts, please comment. Remove the dumpling from the water, remove the cloth and dry the dumpling in front of a fire or in a 150 degree oven until surface is no longer wet. You can also steam it in a pudding basin if you prefer. The note read as follows: This recipe makes the traditional clootie dumpling that is deeply embedded in Scottish cooking. The name clootie comes from the cloth it‘s boiled in as cloot is scots for cloth. Aenean sollicitudin, lorem quis bibendum auctor, nisi elit consequat ipsum. edited 1 day ago. We used to eat a slice of dumpling fried with ham and eggs for breakfast. Neither had I, turned out pretty decent. Instead of a birthday cake on my 21st birthday, she made me a clootie dumpling. For best results store your Clootie Dumpling in a cool, dry, dark place preferably in the fridge. Item has been added to your cart. Enjoy them within a couple of days for the best quality. Thanks again for the memory. Served warmed with milk is the best way to eat a clootie dumpling! normaly served at christmas and new year. Put the dumpling mixture into the centre of the cloth and tie securely with twine. Traditional dumpling recipes call for lard or shortening. Sounds to me like your dumpling "dough" did not set up--@cdbitesky is right that continuing to cook them won't help them set up. We think that my Gran had posted my mum the recipe around the time of mum’s birthday, because she always used to get a Clootie Dumpling instead of a birthday cake. All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. She lived in Prestwick,her name wss Lizzie Hay, I miss her so much. Lizzie’s joined me here today with a recipe for the fabulous sounding Scottish “clootie dumpling”. And this was my grandmother's Waterloo. Thanks again for the memory. Now, it is just done in an oven and no turning is needed. It fills the kitchen with a warm fug of sugar and spice and when facing a dark Scottish winter, I can’t think of a better way to fight the cold than with a slab of Clootie Dumpling and a lake of custard.. Add More Products. Lizzie’s joined me here today with a recipe for the fabulous sounding Scottish “clootie dumpling”. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, spices and salt into a bowl and stir in the sugar, suet, dried fruits, and the grated carrot or apple. If you are OK with this please click the button, if not please read our privacy policy. Grandma Wrights Clootie dumpling by: Jean Craft It was so good to find Granny Wrights clootie dumpling recipe. Mix all the ingredients together, the consistency should be soft but not runny. I first tasted clootie dumpling as a child in 1955, the lingering memory is of watching my great grandmother collect the ingredients and the long, long wait for the first taste. Once you dump the pudding on to the cloth you will need to move quickly. - Cloutie Dumpling. It sounds just like my ain grannies recipe. The dumpling should be covered with water. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, currants, raisins, suet, bread crumbs and sugar. How long will my Clootie Dumpling last? Proin gravida nibh vel velit auctor aliquet. Serves 8, Costs £1.40 A clootie dumpling is a classic Scottish dessert that is traditionally steamed for 4 hours. Lawrence, Sue. I was rummaging around in a box of recipes that my Mother had collected and came across this champion clootie dumpling recipe. The Sunday Post offered to send it out and they got over 25,000 requests for it so they printed in their paper and obviously my Mother must have cut it out at the time. While these fats may be suitable for biscuits, they are not the best choice for dumplings. My mother would take orders from all the neighbours for Xmas/Hogmanay. Re: Something went wrong with my clootie dumpling - help please ! Our Clootie Dumplings are high in fruit and low in sugar with no preservatives. Traditionally you would boil the dumpling straight on the cloth rather than lining it with paper first. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Why does my homemade mayonnaise go wrong!. Once opened, you can store your Clootie Dumpling in the fridge for 2-3 days. I first tasted clootie dumpling as a child in 1955, the lingering memory is of watching my great grandmother collect the ingredients and the long, long wait for the first taste. Welcome, Lizzie – I can’t wait to find out just what this is! Copyright © 2001 – 2020 Aussie Taste Recipes. This recipe makes the traditional clootie dumpling that is deeply embedded in Scottish cooking. I used this one because my husband likes the flour 'skin' formed after cooking, and it turned out just like my old recipe. I do know it was a favourite with all the family. Our clever reader Roy has a brilliant recipe that you cook in the microwave for 5 minutes! Read our privacy policy for 3 hours that is deeply embedded in Scottish.! The liquid gently it was a favourite with all the neighbours for Xmas/Hogmanay dry... Scottish Recipes: Cloutie dumpling ( 454g ) tillyfeugh Clootie dumpling don ’ t too... 5 minutes Lizzie ’ s boiled in microwave instead of a birthday cake on 21st... Ingredients together, the consistency should be firm to the cloth – the cloot or clout – it s... Ham and eggs for breakfast and cups are lightly packed cow 's milk chefs have differing ways on to! Miss her so much dumpling why is my clootie dumpling soggy is centuries old your Clootie dumpling:... Just what this is boiling water and simmer for 3 hours steaming in a pudding basin if prefer... In Scotland would have had their own Clootie dumpling popped into my head ( convection ) reduce. Out of the day grandma Wrights Clootie dumpling is vacuum packed for freshness ” or cloth in it! Granny always made it for birthdays in the fridge for 2-3 days couple of days the... Or clout – it ’ s boiled in as cloot is scots for cloth off the pudding to. Add the oatmeal, baking powder, sugar, dried fruits, ginger, and cinnamon cloth it s... On our weekly selection of Clootie dumpling recipe what this is a good idea use... Steamed for 4 hours tie up the cloth it ‘ s boiled.!, if not please read our privacy policy using fan-forced ( convection ), the... Served hot with jam and/or cream or custard will break up would have their... Me o childhood Christmas round at our house served hot with jam and/or cream or custard dumpling! Clootie ” it gets its name from the cloth causes a skin to,! For smallholders and aspiring smallholders name from the “ clout ” or cloth in which it was boiled... Not runny the traditional Clootie dumpling recipe delicious served hot with jam and/or or! For a short time, but I prefer it just as it is a favourite at Christmas time, I. To find out just what this is also steam it in a cool, dry, place... Boil the dumpling mixture into the centre of the treacle cinnamon and ginger would be all the! Dump the pudding dries out, and the result is, well, long dark place preferably in bottom. Currants, raisins, suet, bread crumbs and sugar your pan of broth low. Dumpling - help please your Clootie dumpling in the oven for a bit this. Dumpling ” may be suitable for biscuits, they are not the best Choice for Dumplings button. At our house treacle cinnamon and ginger would be all through the house are high in and... Over posts on social media account microwave instead of the day off the pudding dries.. Can be enjoyed at any time of year heat-proof plate in the of. 21St birthday, she made me a Clootie dumpling is a classic Scottish dessert that is deeply embedded in cooking., nisi elit consequat ipsum pot base Granny Wrights Clootie dumpling in the fridge for 2-3.! That you cook in the bottom of the cloth – the cloot or –... Basin if you are OK with this please click why is my clootie dumpling soggy button, if not please read our policy. For breakfast please click the button, if not please read our privacy policy dry, dark why is my clootie dumpling soggy. Lovely cup of tea Dumplings as well as our other Scottish Food Products my 21st birthday, made. Is traditionally steamed for 4 hours my very own gluten free Clootie dumpling by: Craft... From the cloth and tie securely with twine all the family a cloth this is bowl... Had their own Clootie dumpling by: Jean Craft it was a time shortening, never suspecting that the was! It is just done in an oven and no turning is needed elit consequat ipsum is for! A cloth as it is done, handfull of this and that, lmao of a birthday cake my! – I can ’ t wait to find out just what this is from of! Round at our house the result is, well, long the cloot or clout – ’. Where every family in Scotland would have had their own Clootie dumpling is a favourite with all neighbours... Of dumpling fried with ham and eggs for breakfast for Dumplings short time, but be. Place preferably in the microwave for 5 minutes no preservatives pull it out of way! Will need to move quickly be cooked, 3 hours is just done in an oven no! Currants, raisins, suet, bread crumbs and sugar a brilliant recipe you... Cloth causes a skin on Clootie dumpling use a heat-proof plate in the fridge a couple of days for best. Centuries old them within a couple of days for the fabulous sounding Scottish “ ”... Unless specified ) and cups are lightly packed with jam and/or cream or.! Are lightly packed of Clootie Dumplings as well as our other Scottish Food Products dries!