Don't expect to find one of these nickels under your couch cushions. A nickel is a five-cent coin struck by the United States Mint.Composed of 75% copper and 25% nickel, the piece has been issued since 1866.Its diameter is .835 inches (21.21 mm) and its thickness is .077 inches (1.95 mm). Your chances of finding valuable nickels in everyday pocket change are pretty good — much like your odds of finding valuable pennies. The mint made a little over 200,000 1925 nickels and this is the date missing from most nickel collections. Even silver wartime Jefferson “nickels” look nearly identical to regular nickels, except for one distinguishing mark that I’ll tell you about in just a bit. $17,000 RARE NICKEL WORTH MONEY - VALUABLE NICKELS WORTH SAVING!! Cameo is the amount of contrast between the relief (raised or recessed design) and field (background). In general, well-circulated Roosevelt dimes made before 1965 are worth between $1.25 and $2. Coin collectors are always on the lookout for rare collectible coins such as the 1942 nickel and other coins that are worth more than face value. A Very Fine 1877 nickel is worth an astounding $2,100. Of all the denominations in circulation, nickels provide you with the best chances of finding old and valuable coins in your pocket change. It is made of cupronickel. It has George Washington on the front and either a United States emblem or a design of one of the 50 states on the back. I’m a member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA) and the Numismatic Literary Guild (NLG) and have won multiple awards from the NLG for my work as a coin journalist. All are worth 10 cents or more each. Image source: Wikimedia Commons Ultimate Guide to Rare Collectible Nickels. Old Nickels that are Actually Worth Money! Some (like the new nickels in circulation) bear the familiar likeness of our third president, Thomas Jefferson. The 1913 Liberty Head Nickel is one of the most coveted coins in U.S. coin collecting history. Type: Jefferson Nickel Year: 1938 Mint Mark: No mint mark Face Value: 0.05 USD Total Produced: 19,496,000 [ Silver Content: 0% Numismatic Value: $6 to $1800.00 Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in average condition will be valued at somewhere around $6, while one in certified mint state (MS+) condition could bring as much as $1,800 at auction. They are worth a premium for their precious metal content. Take a handful of nickels, and the war nickels would stand out. My love for coins began when I was 11 years old. Some have a value of $1 or more, and a few are even worth more than $10. Nickel's Worth, northern Idaho and western Montana (Wednesday by 3pm) The Lewiston Tribune: $25, black and white photo only (Tuesday by 12pm) Giant Nickel: $25,(Tuesday by 12pm) A nickel is worth 5 cents ($0.05) so 100,000 nickels would be worth 100000 * 0.05 = $5000 How much money in a roll of nickels and pennies? Buffalo nickels are always worth saving, but there are also some valuable Jefferson nickels. The True Value of Nickels The common American nickel is made from an alloy of two base metals, nickel (25%) and copper (75%), known as cupro-nickel. Lightly worn examples of scarcer issues are worth significantly more. For this list, … I’ve contributed hundreds of articles for various coin publications including COINage, The Numismatist, Numismatic News, Coin Dealer Newsletter, Coin Values, and CoinWeek. Some Canadian nickels are known to be worth up to $10,000 and even the less rare iterations can still get you $100 or more. Seven are graded at the gem level like this one, but only one other nickel is of as high quality. A small carbon spot on the neck likely contributes to its grade that is just short of a gem. As of 2020, Kilee Nickels’s net worth is. Since so many World War I soldiers overseas had at least a few small coins in their pockets, there was a shortage of nickels in 1917 and 1918. Only five examples of uncirculated coins are known to exist, and as early as 1920, all five were owned by one individual, Samuel W. Brown, and later sold to Col. Edward H.R. The Future Worth of a Nickel. On May 16 of that year, Congress passed an act to usher in the new five-cent coin, made of … The majority of 1917-S nickels were not well struck and show significant die erosion. You’re not likely to find one of the following 20 nickels under your couch cushions. Coins for sale for Buffalo type Nickels items. This nickel is rarer that all of the 1924 to 1938 D nickels with the exception of the 1927 D, which is equally as rare. This coin is one of the two finest examples. How much money is Kilee Nickels worth at the age of 34 and what’s her real net worth now? The Jefferson nickel has been in circulation since 1938, and it remained mostly unchanged until 2004. Jefferson Nickels Are Valuable Worth Collecting; ... Jefferson Nickels have a 74 year history, and counting, so as you can see they’re a worthy collectible once you know what to buy and how to grade them. These old coins are out there in circulation, and I know this because I’ve found many of them myself in pocket change and in rolls of coins that I’ve looked through over the years. Jun 15, 2019 - We talk about 1959 nickels worth money and "Black Beauty" nickel you should know about. This coin is one of the finest examples of its kind. They were worth saving, even if a collector was not assembling a set of nickels. According to the experts at Professional Coin Grading Services (PCGS), it’s known as the 2005 D Speared Bison and one just sold for $2,250 on eBay in October this year. Buy & Sell. So how do you know if you've got a knuckle full of rare nickels? Even if they were melted into a pile of slag, they could still be worth every dollar that you paid for them — or even more. These are the most valuable nickels and five cent coins known. While common among circulated coins, the 1927-S is rare in mint state and one of the rarest Buffalos when in gem condition, with only three other Buffalo years rarer. This is roll price, therefore you must divide the values above by 40.. And these are the values for an UNCIRCULATED or Proof coin.. uh most of the time I usually find uh you know one from the 30s and one box of nickels from the bank. They were worth saving, even if a collector was not assembling a set of nickels. Lookup Coin values for Good, Very Good, Fine, Very Fine, Brilliant Uncirculated & Proof conditions and MS grade. Calculate the melt value of your scrap nickel items denominated in U.S. At only 16,000, the 1880 Shield Nickel had one of the lowest mintages of the Shield series.