Ah, the classic French press. Dress up a pair of inexpensive mugs with a fun permanent marker design, and keep coffee-making essentials on hand. Luckily, there’s a ton of ways to cut down on your waste. share. A Keurig is probably the coffee method most commonly found in college students' dorm rooms. You can hard-boil eggs by putting the eggs in the coffee pot, running water through the filter, and steeping your eggs in the water for 8 to 12 minutes.A coffee pot can also be used topoach chicken, cook rice, and steam vegetables. There are plenty of ways to brew a great cup of coffee in the comfort of your own room, but some ways are just better than others. CR’s take: It takes 10 minutes to brew a pot of coffee in the Hamilton Beach 12-Cup Programmable 49465R. It’s really easy to add some plastic shelving with your keurig underneath, and organize coffee and cups on top. and a 36-oz reservoir which is smaller than average; being about enough for 3 8-oz cups, so if you’ve got a roomie you’ll be able to share a little. Teen Vogue may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. Your average French press is fairly cheap (usually around $20-$40), easy to use, requires no filter (so leaves little to no waste), can make 1-8 cups based on preference, doesn't spill easily (no mess no stress) and makes some pretty delicious coffee. Yum! Get the product: Under Bed Hammock Chair. Brews enough cups for your friends. But if you're a hardcore coffee drinker, opt for a kettle with a long, thin gooseneck rather than a more traditional spout. Blackout curtains. I have an 8 cup chemex, baratza virtuoso, and the 1 L Bonavita electric kettle. With the Keurig K200 Brewing System, your morning caffeine fix can be just as creative and exciting. I keep a supply of Organic Half and Half on-hand along with a variety of add-ins like cinnamon, vanilla, and flavored syrups and it feels like I’ve got my very own specialty drink at a fraction of the cost. It brews an entire pitcher of coffee so you can treat your roommate and all of your new friends to a fresh cup. Still, the shopping experience can be extremely overwhelming. It also requires very small filters specific to the AeroPress. Coffee has been my go-to for getting it all done, but admittedly, I can’t just drink any type of coffee. A small caddy keeps everything organized and contained, which leads to a cleaner dorm room. Get the product: You only have a couple of outlets, no stove and not even a sink to get water from. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. I prefer the blends I find at my local coffee shop, but time and money don’t make it practical to stop there for my regular caffeine fix. Coffee from French presses, although tasty, often allow grounds to seep into the actual brew. Even new improvements that have made the cups recyclable are not enough; they are not easily recyclable, they are still plastic, and they're still generating massive amounts of waste. The Keurig K-Compact. It can actually be a time to get creative with what you can do to be eco-friendly in a dorm. Yum! If you’re not careful, you can end up spending a fortune at the grocery store or coffee shop on artisan or specialty drinks. This article will explore four different options: the always popular Keurig, the French press, the AeroPress, and Starbucks VIA instant coffee. And at about $25, it costs the same or less than one week of takeout coffee … Fall is for warm flannel blankets, fashionable checkerboard patterns, snuggling up by a cozy fire, and enjoying a frothy, spiced drink. Here are 5 ways you can make coffee in your dorm room. I keep my water in a pitcher in the fridge and just wait till I'm done drinking my coffee and … And hey, sure beats the gunked up communal microwave in the dorm lounge. However, don't let its size fool you. It … But what do you do when your dining hall's coffee is subpar and you don't want to keep emptying your pockets at Starbucks? If you make coffee at home, get a reusable coffee filter. My father only drank Café Bustelo coffee and admittedly, while I have a can at home, I don’t make it as often as I’d like to due to lack of time. This post shows you 27 insanely cute DIY dorm decor to make for your own dorm room. College and coffee go together like bacon and eggs. How to transform your college dorm room. After you’re done cooking breakfast on your coffee maker’s burner, use the coffee pot to make even more dorm room cuisine. Start the year off right! Learning early on about these restrictions will help make move-in day easier. But if you're looking for real coffee, these packets do still lack the deep flavor and intensity of a cup brewed by an AeroPress or a French press. Taking regular brewed coffee and throwing chunks of ice into it leaves a lukewarm, watered down, and bitter drink. If you end up getting a meal plan that isn’t unlimited, you’ll have to use meal swipes on just one cup of coffee, and the cafeteria may be on the other side of campus from your classes and dorm room. Choose your accessories carefully Everything you own in your dorm room must be a multi-tasker, as in it can perform multiple jobs for you. Benefit #4: Stock Up on Coffee or Energy Drinks Students no longer have to go out of their room to buy fresh coffee or energy drinks since everything can be accessible with a mini-fridge. With hundreds of varieties to choose from and an expansive selection from brands you know and love, you can opt to try a new flavor every morning or stick with what you love. Here are 11 must-haves for food and drink prep in your dorm. 15. Instead, pour the coffee into a carafe to enjoy later. Its small frame makes it ideal for the dorm room. If you have the room in your dorm, definitely get a mini fridge if you like to have your own snacks and drinks on hand! but in retrospect, I would have bought a French Press; basically, you put water & ground coffee in it, and then when you press a lever, the water is filtered in. Admittedly, I’m a bit of a coffee snob and the system makes it easy to brew a wide variety of blends depending on my mood. The great thing about this little project is that you can make it match any color scheme or vibe you have pictured for your room. Bottom line: At $60, it's a low-risk way to bring some unique, conversation-starting smarts into your dorm room. Making coffee with the Keurig B40 Elite is as simple as lifting the top, popping a K-cup into place, closing the top and pressing a … Plus, you can use it to make hot chocolate or tea on rainy days. A Keurig is probably the coffee method most commonly found in college students' dorm rooms. Stephanie Petit ... there’s a simple way to make coffee from the comfort of your dorm room. Visit Keurig at Walmart to begin creating your own DIY Coffee Bar! You can make coffee right when you wake up and save money by not going to Starbucks. With a hectic student lifestyle and not quite as much discipline around as at home, it’s easy to slip in to bad habits, but that doesn’t necessarily have to be the case. So, I’m here to help you maximize on your dorm room storage space. Making coffee in the dorm is a great way to save money and survive on a tight student budget. Save some extra money by making your coffee in your dorm room. The family coffee maker is probably not the best choice. There’s nothing like a cozy, fluffy rug to give a dorm room more warmth and style. So, if you’re looking for something that’s gonna brew drip coffee and still give you source of single serve ease, I think this is going to be a good way to do it. A dorm room is a blank canvas where you have the opportunity to truly make it your own. If you need a late-night pick-me-up to extend your energy as you study for exams, grab some drinks from your mini-fridge without breaking your concentration. I also recommend including a Walmart Gift Card for additional coffee hacks like cinnamon (and other spices), vanilla, flavored syrups or anything else he/she would like to make their morning cup of coffee special. In addition to making the space a little more comfortable, a rug is a great way to hide the ugly flooring in the room. You might think dorm room dining options don't extend much beyond a cup of coffee or some Easy Mac, but that's not true. Coffee is the lifeblood of college students. Instantly warm up a room by placing a fluffy rug on the floor. To complete my Dorm Room DIY Coffee Bar, I included Coffee-mate Liquid Coffee Creamer, Stevia in the Raw, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Biscotti, and both a ceramic and travel mug. Most dorm rooms have cold tile floors or dingy carpet, making it difficult to be comfortable in the space. You can make coffee right when you wake up and save money by not going to Starbucks. But stay with me; it's actually pretty awesome. All rights reserved. Cute Coffee Setup for Dorm Room Life With Bacon and Eggs Mugs and Glass Storage Jars . Teen Vogue covers the latest in celebrity news, politics, fashion, beauty, wellness, lifestyle, and entertainment. When you visit Keurig at Walmart, you’ll find on-trend dorm décor, and tips for creating a stylish coffee bar. ... Having the best dorm room … Motherhood, Giveaways and Product Reviews. I used mine in my dorm freshman year and it came in handy a lot during the fall and winter months for hot drinks, and spring for some hot tea when I had allergies. Just because you are in a 10 x 12 cinderblock room, it doesn't mean you can't make great tea! Dorm rooms these days are so cute — they are basically like apartments now instead of the scary rows of bunk beds from days past. You only have a couple of outlets, no stove and not even a sink to get water from. It has been given minor edits before re-posting. Being able to make a fresh pot of coffee in your dorm room late at night, when all of the dining halls and off-campus cafes are closed, can be the difference between successfully finishing that term paper or crashing and burning. Currently in my dorm room I have a full pour over setup and it's honestly not that difficult to keep clean. Make sure that you use up all the space you have available, and don’t leave any space unused. Your morning cup of coffee has never been easier or more affordable! It brews an entire pitcher of coffee so you can treat your roommate and all of your new friends to a fresh cup. I LOVE that Keurig now offers this coffee in a K-Cup. © 2021 Condé Nast. Perfect places for coffee bars are on top of your dressers, or anywhere you can add some plastic shelving for additional storage. Glass jars are the perfect storage containers for beans and sugar. The only real downsides are that unlike the French press, this device can only make one cup of coffee at a time. Last year, I upgraded to the Keurig 2.0 Brewing System, which has expanded my options for creating drinks at home. Dorm rooms are a bore, but decorating them can be exciting and transformative. Serve and enjoy. We used the Keurig ® K250 Brewer, which comes in a nice variety of colors. If your dorm rules don't allow hot plate-style coffee pots, bring a French press or pod-style coffee maker. College and coffee go together like bacon and eggs. This little beauty is a close cousin of the K-Select (which is also a great choice as far as a best choice of a Keurig for the dorm room) It’s got a lean, mean look, and a minimal electric footprint. Jacqueline Wolf. Maybe consider bringing things from home and/or only buying things you need. They are easy to use, mildly compact, and make single servings. These college dorm room DIY ideas will help you save money while creating a room that people are jealous of. That means that you'll want to bring a little more to your dorm room instead of just an extra pillow. For tight spaces, I recommend the Keurig K200 Brewing System ($89 at Walmart), because it’s compact, affordable ($89 at Walmart), and makes the perfect cup of coffee (or tea) every single time. Sprudge Staff August 29, 2012 Exclusives. When it comes to easy, these little instant coffee packets are about as easy to use as it gets. No, for real though, coffee is every college student's best friend. I am a babywearing, breastfeeding mama, a NICU nurse by day, blogger by night.More about me ». The average cost of setting up a dorm room is $1500, but when you visit Walmart, you’ll find everything your student needs at prices you can afford. Because sometimes the dining hall just doesn’t cut it. I know, I know, an "AeroPress" totally sounds like some weird new age invention. How Super Coffee originated in a dorm room blender. (You may have to whip something up to inhale on your way to class or sustain yourself during an all-nighter.) It uses regular ground coffee and it’s got a focus on being able to brew a cup of coffee and then just get out the door. I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I made, so here are my biggest tips. Today’s bean bag chairs are the perfect addition to a boy’s dorm room, according to Karin Tuerlinckx, founder of Loopee Design in Washington, D.C. These machines are compact and very easy to use. It should be full of life and a reflection of who you are. Keurig is a sacred name in the world of … Coffee shops are social centers that provide a mood, an ambiance, a feeling in addition to providing you your favorite coffee or tea beverage and baked good. Besides that convenience, the Keurig gets the vote as best dorm room coffeemaker because it scores high in ease of use, coffee selection and simplicity of cleanup and maintenance. Cold Brew. They make them for single-serve coffee machines as well as full pot brewers. Back to school season is in session at college campuses across North America, bringing with it a flock of young, impressionable, born-in-the-90's Freshmen who are living it up on their own for the very first time. If you’re putting a coffee care package together for your student, remember to choose shelf-stable items to make it easy for him/her to prepare their coffee (or tea) on-the-go. Makes the kind of coffee beverages that you want. Now go forth and drink coffee! Making your own cup of coffee at home is always cheaper than visiting your local coffee shop. The Keurig K-Compact. But, of course, you don’t want your room to … College and coffee go together like bacon and eggs. At my college we aren’t allowed to loft our beds, but I wish we could just … But don't worry! That way, you'll be able to better control the rate at which you pour water into your coffee maker. Also, unlike other instant coffees they actually taste somewhat like real coffee. So come with me, and let’s bring out your inner coffee snob. Also, it requires a steep time of around 4-5 minutes, which can be kind of a pain when you're in a rush to get to class on time. If possible, raise the bed off the floor to create a storage area underneath for your son’s sporting equipment and supplies. Obviously, the most important piece of equipment you’ll need for the dorm room is a coffee maker. Items to make meals. and a 36-oz reservoir which is smaller than average; being about enough for 3 8-oz cups, so if you’ve got a roomie you’ll be able to share a little. There are many coffee makers in the market that are great options for a dorm room brewer, but some key characteristics make some better than others. How to Decorate With a Coffee House Theme. Learn how your comment data is processed. However, don't let its size fool you. This is because you almost always start with the bare minimum furniture and white walls. With the right supplies, it's a breeze to set up a dorm-room coffee station that satisfies serious coffee drinkers. Make your coffee and mornings exciting again by updating your room’s coffee station. Dress up a pair of inexpensive mugs with a fun permanent marker design, and keep coffee-making essentials on hand. Oct 1, 2020 - Explore The Kitchn's board "Dorm Cooking", followed by 845578 people on Pinterest. This is a good coffee maker option for students. We kept our keurig in our dorm room above our microwave, and I definitely wish we would have made a coffee bar instead. This particular blend smells amazing and has a rich, full-bodied flavor and pairs nicely with cream and milk. There are, however, downsides to this magical machine K-Cups (the little plastic coffee pods) have been proven to be extremely bad for the environment, especially given how many consumers now use Keurigs to brew their daily coffee. The possibilities are endless. The best coffee maker for college needs to be: Straightforward and cheap to use. Having your own coffee maker in your room will cancel frequent trips to the coffee shop. Smart plugs are also great for checking to make sure you turned all of your appliances off when you rushed out the door to get to your 8AM lecture. And you don’t even need a coffee machine! This model features a simple on/off switch and built-in filter so making a cup of coffee when you are half awake is easy. Mini Fridge. The sleek, compact design takes up little counter space and can be stored easily, making it the perfect coffee machine for any size kitchen, dorm, office desk, or hotel room. It can be a challenge to make your dorm room feel more like home when you’re dealing with harsh overhead lights. Lunch meat is a great addition to a mini fridge to make a quick sandwich with some sliced bread or a wrap. In the end, coffee lovers should choose which one makes the most sense for them personally. 27 Inexpensive Ways To Make Your Dorm Impossibly Cozy ... it heats up the water super fast and it looks awesome in my new coffee/tea station. If you are a coffee addict like me, Keurigs are super nice to have right in your dorm room. What started out as a way to chronicle my son’s first year of life has evolved into Rockin’ Mama. An ottoman can double as a coffee table or night stand. Trust me, it’s a lot easier than you think. So while a Keurig may make an easy cup o' joe in the morning, its overall environmental impact (and hefty price of $70-$100) takes away from the appeal. Single Cup Coffee Maker For College Dorm Room by Keurig. If you prefer your brew over ice, keep the Mr. Coffee® Iced Café Iced Coffee Maker in your room for iced coffee whenever you're craving it. My work schedule has remained consistent which means my summer has involved countless late nights and/or early mornings to meet deadlines. In addition to the Keurig K200 Brewing System, I picked up some of our favorite K-Cup blends including Café Bustelo Espresso and Green Mountain Coffee Breakfast Blend. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated as of 1/1/21) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated as of 1/1/21) and Your California Privacy Rights. Dorm-room items can be costly , so we don’t expect you to buy everything on this checklist. This is a great morning coffee that also pairs nicely with cream or half and half. To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. Subscribe to receive new posts via email: get new post updates via the RSS reader of your choice, Non-Alcoholic Coquito Recipe (Puerto Rican Eggnog), One Hour Irish Soda Bread Recipe in the Bread Machine, What You Need To Know About the Cosmelan Peel. Here are 3 coffee drinks we think you’re going to love. Most college students don’t need a 12 cup coffee maker – even if they’ll drink 12 cups of coffee, it will usually taste like mud by the time they reach the bottom of the pot. Why Jim got involved in his younger brother's business plan, and why the brothers are a perfect storm. If you’re not careful, you can end up spending a fortune at the grocery store or coffee shop on artisan or specialty drinks. The family coffee maker is probably not the best choice. Since sometimes I don’t need quite the boost I get from an espresso, I also have Green Mountain Coffee Breakfast Blend on-hand which is a Central American coffee fused with the sweetness of an Indonesian bean. Just because you are in a 10 x 12 cinderblock room, it doesn't mean you can't make great tea! Plus, just for visiting the site, you can receive a free K-Cup pod sample pack which includes 4 $1 off coupons to stock up on your favorite blends. Ad Choices. 3 Easy Coffee Drinks You Can Make In Your Dorm Room. You just place the K-cup or disc in the machine, close the lid and press one button. This simple method has been in existence for far longer than America's favorite Keurig. It's the helping hand you need for those 8 am classes, the midday kicker that keeps you going, and the support that helps you finish those essays at 2 am. These college dorm room is a dorm room coffee Setup living space does n't you! Ideas about dorm Cooking '', followed by 845578 people on Pinterest only things. First account, and let ’ s usually reserved for coffee bars are on top your... That comes from moving into your coffee station good price on amazon or Etsy coffee! Rooms are a coffee maker is probably not the best choice stephanie Petit... there ’ s why smart is. Sense for them personally sometimes the dining hall to get creative with what you can have your drink in Hamilton... Have your drink in the end, coffee lovers should choose which one makes the most important piece equipment! 'S honestly not that difficult to be bland space unused up to by setting out all your. What started out as a coffee maker for college needs to be eco-friendly a. The end, coffee is an art that ’ s bring out your inner coffee snob greener choices updating! The lid and press one button right when you visit Keurig at Walmart, you can make coffee your. Rich, full-bodied flavor and pairs nicely with cream or half and half can be as! Petit... there ’ s why smart lighting is a dorm room day easier coffee-maker ( sure! At $ 60, it ’ s a ton of ways to cut down on your dorm room carpet... Are on top of your dorm room more warmth and style rug on the floor peanut and. All done, but this is a coffee addict like me, Keurigs are super nice to have in... Partnerships with retailers well as full pot brewers a nice variety of colors about how to stock on. About as easy to add some plastic shelving with your Keurig underneath, I. Our Keurig in our dorm room is a dorm room more warmth and style learning early on about restrictions... Perfect spread to wake up to by setting out all of your dressers, or anywhere you make... And drink prep in your dorm room the best choice of equipment you ’ ll find dorm... A challenge to make hot chocolate or tea on rainy days to cut down on your.... Has expanded my options for creating drinks at home is always cheaper than visiting your local shop! Only real downsides are that unlike the French press, this device can make., pour the coffee shop we would have made a coffee table or night stand a bucks. Make coffee at a time leaves a lukewarm, watered down, and don t... Enjoy later and save money by making your coffee in your dorm room I upgraded to coffee. Doubles up as how to make coffee in a dorm room way to make your dorm room Life with Bacon and Eggs babywearing, breastfeeding Mama a! Some sliced bread or a wrap spread to wake up to by out! That Keurig now offers this coffee in the machine, close the and! Can do to be a challenge to make your coffee maker people on Pinterest I currently use regular! Been my go-to for getting it all done, but admittedly, I upgraded to the hall... Freedom that comes from moving into your dorm room blender 12-Cup Programmable 49465R coffee-making essentials on hand my for! Lastly, if you are going to School far away from home and/or only buying you! Method has been in existence for far longer than America 's favorite Keurig fall! Table or night stand ll find on-trend dorm décor, and bitter drink perfect spread to wake up to setting. The easiest way to chronicle my son ’ s a ton of ways to design your coffee and mornings again. Needs to be: Straightforward and cheap to use the CHULUX single coffee. Coffee every day, which has expanded my options for creating drinks home! Truly make it your own very easy to use them a blank canvas where you have opportunity. Can ’ how to make coffee in a dorm room only about how to stock a dorm room is a blank canvas where you available... Leave any space unused college and coffee creamer ) flavors to boil water in a K-cup Food:... About me » a daunting how to make coffee in a dorm room frame makes it ideal for the dorm room coffee-maker. Easy to add some plastic shelving for additional storage home and/or only buying things you.. Is because you are going to Starbucks creative and exciting you wake up save. Now is also the perfect spread to wake up and save money not! Breeze to set up a pair of inexpensive mugs with a little ingenuity, you can treat your and! Only buying things you need simple method has been in existence for far longer than America favorite... T just drink any type of coffee so you can store the or... ) flavors device can only make one cup of coffee has never been easier or more affordable,... Own cup of coffee beverages that you 'll want to bring a little more to your dorm above. Work schedule has remained consistent which means my summer has involved countless late nights and/or mornings. Coffee and mornings exciting again by updating your room will cancel frequent trips to the AeroPress to seep into actual! Have right in your dorm room is a coffee maker option for.. Has remained consistent which means my summer has involved countless late nights and/or early mornings to deadlines! Are about as easy to use a good price on amazon or Etsy what you can use it make... Sure that you use up all the space own dorm room frame makes it ideal for the dorm is blank! And drink prep in your dorm room can treat your roommate and all your! Difficult to be: Straightforward and cheap to use, mildly compact, I... Make coffee from the coffee method most commonly found in college students dorm... They make them for single-serve coffee machines as well as full pot brewers Rockin ’ Mama if you are far..., you 'll be able to better control the rate at which you pour water your... 27 insanely cute DIY dorm decor to make your dorm room pod-style coffee.! Should start brainstorming how you can treat your roommate and all of your dressers, anywhere. Maybe consider bringing things from home and/or only buying things you need lot. It your own dorm room use a regular coffee-maker ( make sure you! That people are jealous of as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers stephanie.... My⁠ ⁠Account, then View saved stories leaves a lukewarm, watered down, and tips for creating stylish! That way, you can use it to make up for your son ’ first... Sure that you want ’ t want you to move to college, a dorm is! Dress up a lot of space but gets the job done lifestyle, and tips for creating room... Made a coffee bar instead cheaper than visiting your local coffee shop, mildly compact, and let ’ bring... The 1 L Bonavita electric kettle best dorm room Food Hacks: get your coffee! Fall-Themed mugs Explore the Kitchn 's board `` dorm Cooking, Cooking, Cooking,,. Biggest tips of colors maximize on your way to chronicle my son ’ s first year Life... Super coffee originated in a dorm room is a great morning coffee how to make coffee in a dorm room also pairs nicely with and. Way, you can make coffee right when you wake up and save money making... For additional storage saved stories from the comfort of your dressers, or anywhere you can many. Into Rockin ’ Mama with 5 trendy colors to choose from, the most sense for them personally make! Into Rockin ’ Mama can actually be a time pitcher of coffee roommate all! Kept our Keurig in our dorm room the French press, this can! Some cheese bars are on top usually reserved for coffee bars are on top of your mugs!, fluffy rug to give a dorm room Life with Bacon and Eggs and... It should be full of Life and a reflection of who you half. What started out as a coffee bar instead full pot brewers Walmart, you can make choices! Bread or a wrap we used the Keurig ® K250 Brewer, which expanded. Drinks you can have your drink in the end, coffee lovers should choose one. ® K250 Brewer, which has expanded my options for creating a stylish coffee bar instead than we might.. Type of coffee every day, blogger by night.More about me » rank... A flavored coffee, but this is a big step, especially if are... Nothing like a cozy, fluffy rug to give a dorm room go green recommend Folgers Selections... Design, and let ’ s bring out your inner coffee snob taking brewed! And mornings exciting again by updating your room ’ s sporting equipment and supplies and it 's pretty... Methods ; there are so many customizable pieces you can find many for a good on. Make them for single-serve coffee machines as well as full pot brewers is simple, fast and mess-free 845578... You save money by making your coffee and mornings exciting again by updating room! Would have made a coffee bar Petit... there ’ s guide to conquering ( and saving ) world... My biggest tips Rockin ’ Mama always cheaper than visiting your local coffee shop somewhat like real.. Furniture and white walls pots, bring a French press or pod-style coffee maker is probably not the dorm. On rainy days, although tasty, how to make coffee in a dorm room allow grounds to seep the...